Services  |  Subscribe  |  Contact Us  |   Feedback   |  E-mail  |  News |  Home

Email | Print

Circular : No. 790, dated 20-4-2000.

1169. Procedure for refund of tax deducted at source under section 195 to the person deducting the tax

1. The Board has issued Circular No. 769, dated 6-8-1998, laying down procedure for refund of tax deducted under section 195, in certain situations to the person deducting the tax at source from the payment to the non-resident. After reconsideration, Circular No. 769 is revoked with immediate effect and refund to the person deducting tax at source under section 195 shall be allowed in accordance with the provisions of this Circular.

2. The Board had received representations for approving grant of refund to the persons deducting tax at source under section 195 of the Income-tax Act, 1961. The cases referred to the Board mainly related to circumstances whereafter the deposit into Government account of tax deducted at source under section 195,

(a) the contract is cancelled and no remittance is made to the non-resident;

(b) the remittance is duly made to the non-resident, but the contract is cancelled. In such cases, the remitted amount may have been returned to the person responsible for deducting tax at source.

In the cases mentioned above, income does not accrue to the non-resident. The amount deducted as tax under section 195 and paid to credit of Government, therefore, belongs to the deductor. At present, a refund is given only, on a claim being made by the non-resident with whom the transaction was intended.

3. In the type of cases referred to in sub-paragraph (a) of paragraph 2, the non-resident not having received any payment would not apply for a refund. For cases covered by sub-paragraph (b) of paragraph 2, no claim may be made by the non-resident where he has no further dealings with the resident deductor of tax. This resident deductor is, therefore, put to genuine hardship as he would not be able to recover the amount deducted and deposited as tax.

4. The matter has been considered by the Board. In the type of cases referred to above, where no income has accrued to the non-resident due to cancellation of contract, the amount deposited to the credit of Government under section 195 cannot be said to be tax. It has been decided that this amount can be refunded, with prior approval of Chief Commissioner concerned to the person who deducted it from the payment to the non-resident under section 195.

5. The refund being made to the person who made the payment under section 195, the Assessing Officer may after giving intimation to the deductor, adjust it against any existing tax liability of the deductor under the Income-tax Act, 1961, Wealth-tax Act, 1957 or any other direct tax law. The balance amount, if any, should be refunded to the person who made such payment under section 195. A separate refund voucher to the extent of such liability under each of the direct taxes should be prepared by the Income-tax Officer or the Assessing Officer in favour of the Income-tax Department and sent to the bank along with the challan of the appropriate type. The amount adjusted and the balance, if any, refunded would be debitable under the sub-head Other refunds below the minor head Income-tax on Companiesmajor head 020Corporation Taxor below the minor head Income-tax other than Union Emoluments major head 021Taxes on Incomes other than Corporation Tax depending upon whether the payment was originally credited to the major head 020Corporation Tax or to the major head 021Taxes on Income other than Corporation Tax. Since the adjustment/refund of the amount paid would arise in relation to the deduction of tax at source, the recording of the particulars of adjustment/refund, should be done in the quarterly statement of TDS/annual return under the signature of the Income-tax Officer or the Assessing Officer at the end of the statement, i.e., below the signature of the person furnishing the statement.

6. Refund to the person making payment under section 195 is being allowed as income does not accrue to the non-resident. The amount paid into the Government account in such cases, is no longer tax. In view of this, no interest under section 244A is admissible on refunds to be granted in accordance with this Circular or on the refunds already granted in accordance with Circular No. 769.

7. A refund in terms of this Circular should be granted only after obtaining an undertaking that no certificate under section 203 of the Income-tax Act has been issued to the non-resident. In cases where such a certificate has been issued, the person making the refund claim under this Circular should either obtain it or should indemnify the Income-tax Department from any possible loss on account of any separate claim of refund for the same amount by the non-resident.

8. The refund as per this Circular is permitted only in respect of transactions with non-residents, which have either not materialised or have been cancelled subsequently. It, therefore, needs to be ensured by the Assessing Officer that they disallow corresponding transaction amount, if claimed as an expense in the case of person making refund claim.

9. It is hereby clarified that refund shall not be issued to the deductor of tax in the cases referred to in clause (i)(c) of paragraph 1 of Circular 769, dated 6-8-1998.

10. The limitation for making a claim of refund under this Circular shall be two years from the end of the financial year in which tax is deducted at source.


  Copyright 2006 | All rights reserved
website designing India & CMS development: Softlogics & Developments